Job Fair - Feb 2010
Following a series of career focused workshops conducted by the ISW Seminar committee, the ISW Job Fair was a capstone event that far surpassed all expectations. The India center was buzzing with activity with several eager job candidates arriving well before the doors opened and dozens stayed on after the closing to continue networking.
Both employers who were looking to recruit as well as the job seekers felt the event was a great success. Several attendees thanked the volunteers for organizing the event and praised the structure that made it easy to approach hiring firms and managers. They were very happy to be able to talk to company representatives and ask questions about specific job openings, as well as to get information in person about working conditions and overall organization at the companies represented. While the majority of the attendees were from the Greater Worcester area, several attendees had heard of the event thru the media publicity preceding the Job Fair and journeyed from Connecticut, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.
The companies manning the tables were pleasantly surprised at the robust turnout. Several of the tables had long but quickly moving queues that kept the personnel staffing the tables busy right through the evening. One of the attending companies remarked that they were happy to have got a couple of resumes for a very exacting position that they had been trying to fill.
Looking to fill a diverse range of openings in areas of software development, accounting, sales, marketing, and biotech, the companies that were represented included:
- Chitika - (http://chitika.com/)
- EMC - (http://www.emc.com/about/jobs)
- IBM - (http://www-03.ibm.com/employment/)
- UMass Medical School - (http://www.umassmed.edu/hr/index.aspx)
- The Boston Group - (http://www.thebostongroup.com/company/careers.asp)
- Trigent - (http://www.trigent.com/company/careers/)
- Acacia Communications (http://www.acacia-inc.com/)
- Cadence Design Systems, Inc (http://www.cadence.com/)
- Vertex Systems (http://www.vrtx.com)
- E-Clinical Works (http://www.eclinicalworks.com/jobs.php)
The publicity for the event helped drive attendance and also increase awareness of ISW activites beyond the traditional South Asian community. A brief listing of some of the coverage is listed below.
You can see some of the pictures and videos from the event (courtesy Raj Melville and Puneet Kohli).